Friday, November 28, 2008

Getting closer....!

Thanksgiving was surprisingly uneventful! We had a few friends over for Wednesday night prep-time, chopping vegetables and figuring out hors d'oeuvres. I don't know if we were acting funny or if our friends just wanted lots of sleep before Thursday, but everyone scrammed by 9pm.

Which left us in a bind -- what to do on the first night of a long holiday weekend? Read the bible? Watch Bill Moyers on TV? Go our separate ways and just rendezvous Thursday morning?

Well of course not; the two of us went into the neighborhood for old times' sake and had a few drinks together at our favorite bar. It was only a little bit surreal -- a few handsome boys came our way and tried to chat with us, but I'm sure once anybody spoke to us they probably realized we had bright red neon "Freak - Stay Away" signs over our heads. Probably a good thing! So, we spent one last night out together, just the two of us, and had a great time. Not a bad way to end things, I guess.

Thursday was too busy to really think about anything at all -- lots of cooking and orchestrating for the big dinner. The food was awesome and I think all my friends really appreciated that we were able to do it together and stay civil. There's no doubt that by the end of the night I was pretty quiet, from the exhaustion of staying up the night before, and from the emotional drain of throwing a big party with my ex-husband. But all in all, no damage done and we all made it through.

Now, the only thing left to do is pack things up, and move. I'm ready to get started! But before I do, a fun night out w/my friends this evening, who've been awesome at keeping me relentlessly busy and distracted.

No comments: