Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bay to Breakers 2010

So a funny thing happened Wednesday night. I flew back from the big conference in Arizona, only to realize that I had left my bike at Sparky's house the weekend before. I had to pick it up immediately, because a whole gaggle of coworkers had agreed to meet me Thursday morning for the annual BIKE TO WORK DAY. I convinced them all to go to my favorite diner "Boogaloos" at 8am for early breakfast and mimosas before we all biked into work together. (I know... mimosas before the office, but hey it's only once a year!)

The problem was, I had already told a friend I would meet him out that night to hear his DJ set straight from the Belgian clubs circa 1988-1990. Serious narrowcasting, yes, but it was his gig and I did actually enjoy that music the first time around, so I figured "why not?". Michalis (a friend from work) came with, and Sparky tagged along as well. We got to drinking... and then all of the sudden we had agreed to run this damn 12k race together that Sunday. As in, a 12k race in just four days with no training. Of course I had no intention of actually running, I just thought we were drunkplanning. As in, notplanning.

Bay to Breakers is a 7.5 mile (12k) race from the downtown SF bay waterfront all the way to the ocean breakers, hence the race name. This was the third time I've run the race; neither Sparky nor Michalis had ever run it. It's more of a street party than a race; it's more an excuse to drink early on a Sunday morning, in a tiger costume or perhaps completely naked, than a real run. It's a bit of a San Francisco tradition, too, this being the 99th year of the race!

Anyhooo, I've been running like a fiend at the gym since Sparky and I broke up at the beginning of April, so I didn't actually think this was going to be a tough race. And lo and behold, all three of us managed to run the entire race without stopping or walking, although we did lose track of Michalis at the beginning but found him again on one of the curves.

It was a great day. After the race we had burgers and beers in the Sunset, and other than Sparky losing his house keys somewhere along the way, I think we managed to pull off the whole spectacle without a hitch.

I can't wait for the 100th annual race, next May. Time to start planning my ouchfit...

No comments: